REQUIREMENTS FOR BUILDING PERMITS:
Building Permits for additions, sheds, garages, pools and decks would require Items 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, & 7 as well as appropriate construction detail documents. Pool permits also require proof of purchase of pool alarm.
Building Permits for most other improvements generally would require only Items 3, 6, & 7.
1. An application must be filed with and approved by the Wetlands Office.
2. An application to install a septic system must be filed with and approved by the Northeast District Department of Health, 69 South Main Street, Unit 4, Brooklyn, CT 06234. Phone: (860) 774-7350.
3. Property tax payments must be current.
5. Two copies of building plans must be submitted for approval. One copy will be returned to the applicant. Plans must include:
i. Site Plan
ii. Foundation Plan
iii. Floor plan with windows and door schedules
iv. Electrical and plumbing plans
v. Clear description of fire ratings.
6. Compliance with model Energy Code shall be provided.
7. Proof of Contractor’s License and Workman’s Compensation Insurance.
8. Trade permits must be completed by properly licensed tradesmen for plumbing, heating, electrical and other mechanical components. Trade permits are not required of homeowners of one and two family houses when working on their own property.
9. A driveway permit is required for new dwellings issue by the Selectman’s Office. Driveway permits for state roads must be obtained from the State of Connecticut Department of Transportation, Bureau of Highways in Norwich (860) 823-3233.